Tuesday, November 16, 2010

[Popular Drugstore Nudes - Hits & Misses]

I've always been a big fan of nudes.. I find they are easier to maintain throughout the day and since I typically wear pretty dark eye makeup, I tend to reach for these to avoid looking like a circus creature.

Revlon - Nude Attitude (Matte)


I was so excited to pick this up.. I loved the idea of a matte concealer look topped with the slightest amount of clear gloss.  In the tube it looks like the perfect color for this..  However, I was disappointed.  It's a matte formula, so obviously it's going to be rather drying.  But it seems no matter how much I prepare my lips for this, it seems like a super dehydrating diareutic.  It makes your lips feel and look like you've been on a week long drinking binge and 20 degree weather.  My lips had more cracks and fine lines than a 90 year old woman.  PLUS, the color is quite terrible when applied.  My lips are considerably pigmented, BUT it is very opaque... the final result is a pale orangey color.  Sexy, huh?  MISS.

Revlon - Colorburst // Soft Nude



First off, the packaging is adorable... Very Chanel, right down to the stamp on the actual lipstick.  This is still a very pale nude but with more of a slight pink tone.  This makes for more natural wearability.. It doesn't look ghastly or corpse-like.  I would have to say its the perfect nude for my skin tone.  I can achieve the pale lips I want without contrasting my medium skintone too much.  It seems to be very moisturizing, it has a matte-satin finish.  The staying power isn't anything to rave about, but constantly reapplying isn't a big problem for me.  I normally wear this without lip glloss and an invisible or natural toned lipliner, it looks stunning.   HIT.

Revlon - Colorstay // Smooth Nude


So, if you can't already tell, I'm a regular Revlon customer.  Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation is my favorite of all time, so I thought this lipstick would be pretty darn impressive.   The tube isn't the greatest.. the internal parts get nasty pretty easily.  It's darker than Nude Attitude, but lighter than Soft Nude.  It leans towards that concealer look, but with a warm peachy undertone (still looks too orange for my taste).  I thought that it would be very opaque, but to my suprise it applies sheer.  You have to build this up quite a bit to cover any amount of pigment your lips may have.  Yes, it does apply rather "smoothly" and the color does "stay" (Sorry, am I that annoying "guy" that uses quotes constantly?) but after a few hours of wear it destroyed my lips.  Am I doing something wrong here?  It just doesn't have any moisturizing properties and will accuentuate your lip flaws.  Better than Nude Attitude, but still a miss for me.

Revlon - Super Lustrous // Blushing Nude


This is such a beautiful color.. its one of those colors I used to overlook, assuming it was for more mature women.  Mature meaning super elderly.  I decided to give it a try recently, I was picking up a few things appropriate for fall.   Its a very warm rosy nude that matches with virtually any outfit/eyeshadow.  I find that it compliments my natural lip color, making me look more healthy without looking overdone.  The application is creamy and wonderful, although it is essential to wear lipliner, this stuff has a tendency to stray like crazy.  This definitely one of those everyday wearables thats quite easy to maintain and has adequate staying power.  This would look great on fair girls as well.  HIT.

L'Oreal - Colour Riche // Fairest Nude

What gorgeous tube!  I love carrying this baby around with me.  This a nice true nude.  It doesn't have weird yellow undertones or make you look dead.   It's a light pink beige, similar to Revlon's Blushing Nude, but with a warmer/darker tone.  This nude doesn't make it look like you're trying too hard and doesn't wash you out while staying very low key.  This is probably my 2nd favorite out of the bunch.  Its moisturizing and smooth.  The only grips I have are that it never seems to set properly, it has an odd typical lipstick scent.. HIT.

I will definitely expand this post soon. :]

2 comments:

  1. i was just looking for this!!!
    following you. do post the swatches of all the nudes and the lip liners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Revlon lippies! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete